Arroz Verde (Green Rice)
Recipe type: Side Dish
- ½ cup tightly packed fresh cilantro sprigs (about ½ oz.)
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh stemmed spinach leaves (about 1-1/2 oz.)
- 1-1/4 cups homemade or low-salt canned chicken stock
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 cups long-grain rice
- ¼ cup finely minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Put the cilantro, spinach, and stock in a blender and blend until the vegetables are puréed. Add the milk and salt and blend a bit more until well combined.
- In a medium (3-qt.) heavy-based saucepan (with a good lid) over medium heat, heat the olive oil and butter. When the butter is melted, add the rice and sauté, stirring about every 30 seconds, until it just begins to brown, 3 to 4 min. Add the onion and garlic and cook 1 min., stirring constantly. Add the contents of the blender, stir well, turn the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Cover the pan, turn the heat to very low, and cook for 20 min. Stir the rice carefully to avoid crushing it, cover, and cook another 5 min.
- Take the pan off the heat and let the rice steam in the covered pot for 10 min. Serve hot.