Extra-tangy Sourdough Bread
Author: Todd Sefcik
Recipe type: Bread
- 1 cup (8.5 oz) "fed" sourdough starter
- 1-1/2 cups (12 oz) Luke-warm water
- 2-1/4 teaspoons Salt
- 5 cups (21-1/4 oz) Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Pour the cup of starter into a large mixing bowl. Add the warm water and 3 cups of flour. Beat Vigorously.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest and cool room temperature (68° to 70° is optimal) for 4 hours.
- Then refrigerate overnight, or for about 12 hours.
- Add the last 2 cups of flour and salt. kneading to from a smooth, soft dough. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with breathable cloth, and let rise till very puffy through not necessarily doubled, about 5 hours.
- Divide the dough in half, and shape into two loaves, Place on greased baking sheet, cover with breathable cloth, and let rise till doubled, about 2 to 3 hours.
- Slash the tops of the loaves and bake in preheated oven at 425° fro 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven, and cool on a rack.